Introducing LEAP, the Library eBook Accessibility Program, which offers a free membership with Bookshare to print-disabled patrons of OverDrive partner libraries. Qualiﬁed patrons can download up to 20 accessible eBooks
each month for a full year at no charge! The catalog of accessible eBooks is currently more than 70,000 titles, including best sellers and new releases.
What is OverDrive LEAP?
LEAP is the result of a partnership between OverDrive and Bookshare, a non-proﬁ t agency that provides timely eBook access to individuals with print disabilities. As part of OverDrive’s ongoing commitment to accessibility,
LEAP will provide accessible eBooks to library patrons with print disabilities at US public libraries in the OverDrive network. OverDrive is funding LEAP to qualifying patrons at no cost to libraries and at no cost to patrons.
How does OverDrive LEAP work?
Patrons with LEAP memberships receive a user account at Bookshare. Bookshare hosts more than 70,000 digital books, textbooks, newspapers, and
magazines — available in DAISY and BRF formats. These can be used with a variety of accessible devices and free desktop software. The Bookshare catalog is growing each month, accumulating thousands of new titles.
Please note that it is not the identical collection of eBooks that OverDrive supplies to your library
To register for LEAP and gain free access to Bookshare’s catalog for one year, follow these steps:
1. Please open an Internet browser and navigate to your library’s digital virtual branch.
2. Near the top of the page is a link that reads ‘Accessible eBooks for the print-impaired – Click here.’ Please activate this link to visit the ‘Accessible eBooks’ page.
3. The ‘Accessible eBooks’ page contains a brief summary of OverDrive LEAP. Immediately following the first paragraph is a link which reads ‘To sign into your library account and learn more, click here.’ Please activate this link to visit the ‘Login’ page.
4. The ‘Login’ page contains a form where you are prompted to enter your Library Card Number. Please enter and submit your Library Card Number to continue.
5. Once your Library Card Number has been authenticated, you will be redirected to a new page at Bookshare.org. Please click the ‘SIGN UP TODAY!’ link at the bottom of this page to begin registering for a LEAP Membership.
6. You should have now arrived at the ‘Sign Up’ page at Bookshare. Please follow the prompts and instructions that follow in order to complete the registration process for LEAP Membership.
7. Once your registration information has been submitted you will receive further instructions via email from Bookshare on how to continue.