E reading Devices:
Kindles Galway Public Library has two kindle e reading devices: the kindle touch 3G and the Kindle Keyboard. They are available for patron loan.
Nooks The Barnes and Noble Black and White E ink and Color nook is available for Galway patron loan. Please review our nook user guide.
Read new exclusive ebook titles and borrow titles from our Ebook collection at Salon.
“Books of the coming century will all be printed leaves of nickel, so light to hold that the reader can enjoy a small library in a single volume. A book two inches thick will contain forty thousand pages, the equivalent of a hundred volumes; six inches in aggregate thickness, it would suffice for all the contents of the Encyclopedia Britannica. And each volume would weigh less than a pound.”
– Thomas Edison, June 23, 1911, on the world of 2011
“The Southern Adirondack Library (SALS) on Demand“.
Digital downloads are easy to check out and download, and the best part is – there are never any late fees because your titles are automatically returned at the end of the lending period.
- To check out and download e/ audio book titles, you will need your library card number to create an online account with SALS on Demand.
- You may also need to download and install free software to enhance your listening and/or reading experience. ( over drive console or Adobe Digital Document reader)
- When the download process is complete, you can enjoy titles
on your Windows or Mac computer or transfer the audio book to supported devices, like an MP3 player or Apple iPod. Many audio titles can be burned to CD to listen to in the car.
Compatible Ebook Devices:
- Barnes & Noble nook and Color Nook- visit our how to use a nook web page to learn how to read Galway/SALS audio and ebooks on a nook
- Sony Reader Pocket Ed., PR s-700, Daily Ed., PRS-505, Touch Ed.
- If you have any questions or require assistance, please visit the SALS on Demand Help page
Introducing LEAP, the Library eBook Accessibility Program, which offers a free membership with Bookshare to print-disabled patrons of OverDrive partner libraries. Qualiﬁed patrons can download up to 20 accessible eBooks
each month for a full year at no charge! The catalog of accessible eBooks is currently more than 70,000 titles, including best sellers and new releases.
What is OverDrive LEAP?
LEAP is the result of a partnership between OverDrive and Bookshare, a non-proﬁ t agency that provides timely eBook access to individuals with print disabilities. As part of OverDrive’s ongoing commitment to accessibility,
LEAP will provide accessible eBooks to library patrons with print disabilities at US public libraries in the OverDrive network. OverDrive is funding LEAP to qualifying patrons at no cost to libraries and at no cost to patrons.
How does OverDrive LEAP work?
Patrons with LEAP memberships receive a user account at Bookshare. Bookshare hosts more than 70,000 digital books, textbooks, newspapers, and
magazines — available in DAISY and BRF formats. These can be used with a variety of accessible devices and free desktop software. The Bookshare catalog is growing each month, accumulating thousands of new titles.
Please note that it is not the identical collection of eBooks that OverDrive supplies to your library
To register for LEAP and gain free access to Bookshare’s catalog for one year, follow these steps:
1. Please open an Internet browser and navigate to your library’s digital virtual branch.
2. Near the top of the page is a link that reads ‘Accessible eBooks for the print-impaired – Click here.’ Please activate this link to visit the ‘Accessible eBooks’ page.
3. The ‘Accessible eBooks’ page contains a brief summary of OverDrive LEAP. Immediately following the first paragraph is a link which reads ‘To sign into your library account and learn more, click here.’ Please activate this link to visit the ‘Login’ page.
4. The ‘Login’ page contains a form where you are prompted to enter your Library Card Number. Please enter and submit your Library Card Number to continue.
5. Once your Library Card Number has been authenticated, you will be redirected to a new page at Bookshare.org. Please click the ‘SIGN UP TODAY!’ link at the bottom of this page to begin registering for a LEAP Membership.
6. You should have now arrived at the ‘Sign Up’ page at Bookshare. Please follow the prompts and instructions that follow in order to complete the registration process for LEAP Membership.
7. Once your registration information has been submitted you will receive further instructions via email from Bookshare on how to continue.